Alderman Coleman attended Emmanuel Christian School and Chicago Military Academy – Bronzeville. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from Robert Morris University and a Masters of Science Degree in Nonprofit Management from Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies. Stephanie’s stellar academic record includes many honors and awards and dedicated her time to mentor young college students on financial assistance and independence, course registration, and maturing to adulthood during her education.
Alderman Coleman got her start in politics from her mother, former Alderman Shirley Coleman, where she learned the importance of making concerns of her constituents of the utmost importance. In 2019 the age of 30, Alderman Coleman became the youngest member of the Chicago City Council.
Alderman Coleman has a passion for service and is actively involved in issues concerning youth and young adults, which includes education, the achievement gap, public safety, and economic growth. Through her service, Alderman Coleman continues to be committed to making a difference and changing lives. She firmly sees the vital need for mentors and idols in the community. Stephanie wants to inspire the future leaders of tomorrow by showing them that with hard work and dedication, you can achieve anything in life to make a difference in the community.
Alderman Coleman actively participates in multiple community service and outreach projects including:
- Founder & CEO, Sons, and Daughters of Englewood (S.A.D.E.)
- The Albertina Walker “Queen of Gospel”, Scholarship Foundation
- Increase The Peace Englewood
- The Open Book Literacy Program
- Shining Stars Academic & Development Organization
Alderman Coleman is a community leader and has received the following notable honors:
- 2018 Chicago Defender Women of Excellence
- 40 Under 40 Young Women’s Professional League – Class of 2017
- Friends In The City Foundation Community Leadership
- 2017 Delegate of the prestigious Illinois Women’s Institute of Leadership Training Academy
Alderman Stephanie D. Coleman continues to work tirelessly for the people of the 16th Ward and will continue her leadership to be a positive change in the community and the entire City of Chicago.